Last semester in class, we frequently wrote some B*ibli*cal proverbs and parables on the board, and asked the students to write and talk about what they mean. This semester we started a using different approach. We introduced a new method last week. We give them a 'wise saying' and they have to re-write it in their own words, and write how the can apply it to their lives. Then, for homework, they must talk to 3 people outside of class about the 'wise saying', so they can "practice" their English outside of class. We have about 240 students. If they talk to 3 people about the 'wise saying', that's 720 people who are hearing something from the Good Book, who otherwise may have never heard the story/proverb. Last weeks 'wise saying' was Prov12:25 "Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up."(MSG) When they wrote about how they could apply it to their lives, many of them said things like: "I will try not worry as much" "I will encourage my friends when they are down" "I will be a better listener" "I will try to be more optimistic, and encourage others to be". They shared these statements with their groups. Then we taught them the word 'accountable/accountability'. I told them, 'Now that you have told your friends that I will...., now you can hold each other accountable'. With the remaining class time, we had each group write a short play about this proverb, then perform it in front of class. We were really impressed! Most of the plays were about someone's boyfriend or girlfriend breaking up with them, and their friends encouraging them; or someone failed an exam, and their friends offered encouraging words. Their plays really showed us that the understood the proverb.
I also want to share about another assignment we did recently. In one of our classes, we were talking about the differences between Chinese and American families. We found out that Chinese families are not very affectionate with one another and they don't tell each other 'I love you'. Obviously this is very different from our culture. We tell everyone we love them, and we hug everyone! So, in that class, I asked them,"What would your mom do if you hugged her and told her you love her?" We had many responses like: "She would think I did something very bad", "She would wonder what is wrong with me." So, I gave that class an optional extra credit assignment. They had to call their mom, tell her "I love you", and email me her response. Here are some of the emails I got:
dear Callie:
Happy to write to you .I have called my mother.at first I regarded to my family,but when I told her I had some words to tell her along with saying "I LOVE YOU",there was a big silence.By following,she smiled and told me that she loved me too,and displayed to my father.She hoped me to learn well.
yours sincerely
Shelly
My mum said:"What?Why you say so suprising words?"
Steven
Dear Callie,
Last week I called my mother,and said I have something to tell her.Then I said"I love you"to my mother.After hearing those words ,my mother laughed loudly,and she said"I love you,too"to me.Then she told me when she heard I want to say something to her,she think I have made a boy friend,and I want to tell her this thing.Then I laughed. Yours, Cathy
Dear Callie,
I am Bingo.Is everything going well ? I am so glad that I have the chance writing to you !
I remembered to call my mother and say "I love you , mom !" to her . To my surprise , she said " I love you , too ! I love you !" She is very happy . And she talk with me in a soft voice . It is so surprising ! I cannot believe my ears ! I felt that something has changed between my mother and I .
Thank you for give me a chance to say " I love you !" to my mom ! Best wishes to you , my dear teacher! Yours , Bingo
Dear Callie:
Today I said Mother I love you to my Mom.She is very pleasured to hear this.Besides smailing to me,she said that she has cooked a delicious dinner for me. I am so happy.
-------Olyher
Dear teacher:
I am Tim.I called to my mother this weekend.At first I find it very hard to say that to my mother. Then I encourage myself again and again .At last I said"I love you,mum". My mother keep silent for a while .Then she said"
Did you make trouble in school ?Why did you say that suddenly?"
Finanly,I explain to my mother about this thing.She smiled and said"taking care of yourself is loving me"
name:Tim
Monday, April 19, 2010
Further Instructions
Posted by
Callie
at
9:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Wow! These emails are so powerful! Something happens when people "test drive" the book. The changes these young people experienced will give them a different outlook on future classes and they will be more willing to apply what they are learning. Putting new insights into practice opens us for transformation. Keep on keeping on! You are doing good work.
It was great hearing this story last night and the people who will come into contact with this message shows the power of your work, you guys are Rockstars!
-Nick H.
Post a Comment