So, tonight Thomas was busy tutoring, and I decided to have some students over. There's been a group of students who I've gotten closer to within the past few weeks. So I invited them over tonight to see our Christmas tree and make Christmas cookies. They were so excited. They had brought us a huge bouquet of flowers (Lilys and roses)to us. I'm pretty sure that it's Chinese custom to bring something if you are invited to someone's house. It was really sweet. So they came in and I gave them the grand tour of the apt. They went crazy over our 'soft bed' (air mattress).Then we started the cookies. I'd brought a Christmas cookie decorating kit from home back with us. So I gave it to them, and told them to follow the directions and I'd watch them. (They've NEVER made cookies before....or heard of an oven. Of course the directions they were following says to cook them for 9-12 minutes. Well, in our Chinese toaster oven, that means about 3 minutes) They were having so much fun. They kinda got bored with the one cookie cutter, so they started making there own shapes. We ended up having cookies in the shape of a foot, snake, smiley face, fish, star, cross, and a heart. After the cookies cooled, I got the icing out. I let them taste it first. They must not have liked it that much because they didn't put much of it on their cookies. I heard them say later that it's too sweet. :) I guess that's why they're all so skinny! Anyways, it was a fun night. It just amazes me how excited they get over every little thing. I love it! I wish I could be more like that.
-Callie


0 comments:
Post a Comment